birding-aus

Re:what to do with a dead owl

To: "" <>
Subject: Re:what to do with a dead owl
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:16:28 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Peter.
Regardless of the technical legality of picking up roadkill I do it regularly
and NT museums have generally been the beneficiaries. I keep a 'roadkill kit'
in my vehicle specifically for this- ziplock bags,latex gloves,sani-gel,a knife
for beheading bigger specimens all in a zipup coles frozen food bag. When
recording details the location is probably the most important thing- provenance
is vital in curating specimen collections.
If museums are not interested in you find then try your local park service-they
sometimes need skulls etc for educational use.
Mark Carter