birding-aus

Elegant and Night Parrots

Subject: Elegant and Night Parrots
From: tim morris <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 03:22:32 -0700 (PDT)
With regards to the recent discussion on Elegant Parrots in WA, I saw several
smalls groups in the vicinity of Cue in the autumn of 1992 following flooding
late summer rains. They were feeding amongst the wildflowers that arrived en
masse after the rain and also in the salt marsh adjacent to Lake Austin.

These records are within the accepted range, however whats interesting about
the Elegant Parrots in the Pilbara is that I'm guessing the vegetation
communities (spinifex in the Pilbara?)and subsequently the birds diets would be
so different to the birds in the south. I'm wondering if the northern birds
might have other characteristics different to those in the south?

My  Night Parrot story isn't too exciting but while working in the vicinity of
Barrow Creek in the NT a few years ago my ears pricked up when a colleague told
me that an Aboriginal stockman on the station had told him that Night Parrots
would come in to the well (farm dam) near where we were camped. However he had
then gone to say that the birds were quite pretty.
Subsequently I saw a pair of Mulga Parrots near the well which was the only
site I saw them despite being in the area for several months. So I think that
the stockmen may have been referring to the Mulga Parrots, particularly as they
may come in to drink late in the day...however I never got the time for any
extended observation of the well and have always wondered/hoped that there
might be some Night Parrots floating around out there.

Tim