birding-aus

Emu gizzard stones

Subject: Emu gizzard stones
From: Helen Larson <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 06:31:30 +0000 (GMT)
hello David
    I have been digging up these stones (along with many other people) at the
Alcoota fossil site which has many dromornithids and some emus in it (among
other beasts). The two palaeontologists who ran the site argued regularly over
what they were - big bird gizzard stones or just river gravel? Sadly one of
them died last year (on-site) so the argument is not resolved. The stones get
mentioned occasionally - see p.262 in Peter Murray and Pat Vickers-Rich's book
"Magnificent Mihirungs" where there is a short summary and references.
   I have a glass jar full of these stones and will be back at Alcoota next
month to see if I can finally find a fish fossil (am an ichthyologist not
palaeontologist), or the upper dromornithid beak to match the lower one I found
3 years ago.
   Helen