birding-aus

Long Reef, northern Sydney 6 June

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Long Reef, northern Sydney 6 June
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 16:07:41 +1000
Hi all
I paid an early morning visit to Long Reef today (6 June). Once I found a spot where I could shelter from the fresh SWly, I spent about 75 minutes watching what was out at sea. My watching produced 2 Shy Albatross and a single Wandering Albatross in with lots of Black Browed and some Yellow Nosed Albatross and lots of gannets. There was also a Great Skua fairly close in. There were plenty of birds further out but there was an awful lot of heat shimmer with the air being quite cold, so finer details eluded me. There was one very pale bird a long way out that flew like a pteradroma which I eventually lost in the sun as it broke out from behind the clouds.

On the reef itself, a small group of White Fronted terns were roosting in with a dozen or so Crested Terns and some Silver Gulls. There were 8 Sooty Oystercatchers on the beach plus the usual smattering of small waders (R/N Stints, Turnstones, Grey Tailed Tattler and Double Banded Dotterels) and gangs of cormorants.

Cheers
Tom Wilson