birding-aus

Quick successful trip to NZ for 'wild' Kiwi,Blue Duck and Wrybill

To: 'Deb Colbourne' <>,
Subject: Quick successful trip to NZ for 'wild' Kiwi,Blue Duck and Wrybill
From: Sav Saville <>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 19:47:40 +1200
Debbie,
That's all good info, but I think I ought to point out a couple of other
things to any Birding-aus readers hoping for these particular species.
Little Spotted Kiwi are easy enough on Kapiti, but access to the island is
highly weather dependant. It is probably just as good to go to Tiritiri
Matangi Island which is served by a large ferry. The kiwis there are pretty
reliable.
Blue Duck. The very best (almost foolproof) site is Ruatiti near Ohakune in
the central North Island. Around 15 pairs are present on about 10km of
river. I can honestly say I have never failed to see the birds there.
Wrybill. Miranda is a key site, and high tide is essential to get decent
views. There are a few other sites worth checking, and my local patch - the
Manawatu Estuary - is as good as any for excellent views, normally down to
less than 20m.
Cheers

Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours,NZ