birding-aus

Yellow Wagtail ID and Richard Baxter's Images

To: <>
Subject: Yellow Wagtail ID and Richard Baxter's Images
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 02:10:46 +0000
Hi,

I've put together an article on "Yellow" Wagtails for Bird-O. This includes
Richard's images as well as images by Trevor Collins from a sighting I had with
Darryel Binns in Darwin in early 2008.

Despite what people may say, it may yet be possible to tell the difference
between the two 'dark-headed' types (macronyx and thunbergi). Macronyx may in
fact be a completely new species but no-one has done the work yet, so the bird
is in taxonomic limbo. There are surely other difficult birding conundrums that
have been solved? Maybe we can actually tell these two apart, rather than just
assume that it is impossible.

One way or the other, we won't know unless we take a good look at birds we are
seeing.

This article is only brief and aimed at getting people to a basic understanding
of Yellow Wagtail identification, because there are TWO species currently
recognised for Australia. Thunbergi would be a third species (flava) and
macronyx may be another, meaning next time you see a "Yellow" wagtail, it might
be one of potentially FOUR species. Taking a close look, recording the birds in
great details and trying to identify them could be really valuable.

http://bird-o.com/2010/06/01/identification-of-australian-yellow-wagtails/

Regards,

Simon.