birding-aus

Semi-palmated Plover at Tuross Heads, NSW, on 22 May 2010

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Semi-palmated Plover at Tuross Heads, NSW, on 22 May 2010
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 17:10:32 +1000
I have now seen prints of the bird photographed last Saturday afternoon 22 May by Pattie Parker at Tuross Heads. It is a Semi-palmated Plover!!!!! After a quick look, in my opinion, a female in at least partial breeding plumage. Digital images taken from the prints will be posted on Birdline Australia and Birdline NSW. The photos have lost quality in the scanning process. The bird was not found in a search on Monday and the weather since then has been appalling. Viewing the photos, I thought that this was not the same individual that I last saw in Broome in April. That is confirmed because the BBO tell me that the Broome bird was still there at that time. It does however have some likeness, (notched breast band), to a Semi-palmated Plover that has been, maybe still is, in NZ! This doesn't necessarily invalidate Pattie's claim of Little Ringed Plover at the same site on Wednesday 5 May as there are some inconsistencies between the description of that bird and these photos e.g. wholly black bill on that bird, orange spot at base on this bird. GPS co-ordinates for that bird were 36 degrees04'01"S 150degrees07'42"E. That bird was also not seen in subsequent searches.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136