birding-aus

RE: Grey Butcherbird Larder: comment on impaling again...........

To: "'birding aus'" <>
Subject: RE: Grey Butcherbird Larder: comment on impaling again...........
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:24:01 +1000
Hi Russell,

Unfortunately, I don't know the answers to your questions and perhaps
someone else has answers. Or perhaps it would make a good topic for an
honours research project.

Kristin et al. (2004) indicate that impaling /wedging of prey has developed
independently in three groups: the Butcherbirds (Cractacidae) in Australia,
the Bush Shrikes (Malaconotidae) in Africa and the True Shrikes (Laniidae)
in Europe, Asia, Africa and North America. The authors state:

"The evolutionary pathway of impaling appears to result from trial-and-error
activity, like most other behavioural processes. A simplistic explanation of
impaling is that it was probably learned by the ancestral shrike dragging a
heavy prey item, which wedged into a fork or other projection, allowing the
individual to learn the use of a tool for dismemberment. Territorial
behaviour and use of regular impaling sites allow individuals to store food
and communicate with conspecifics, in some species resulting in the caches
becoming parameters for sexual selection. Impaling inedible objects (e.g.
insects containing inedible toxins) to improve the visual impact may have
evolved into the discovery that after some time they become edible (as the
toxins are broken down), which open a new feeding niche. The overall
impression is of a behavioural adaptation that evolves quickly in response
to local ecological pressures and that allows the True Shrikes to adapt to a
wide range of habitats, ranging from the freezing snowfields of Alaska to
the burning sands of the Sahara Desert."

With respect to the Grey Butcherbird, HANZAB Vol 7 states that prey that are
too large to be swallowed whole, such as lizards and small birds or
nestlings, are usually wedged into a crack or a fork on a branch or impaled
on a thorn, where it is torn to pieces before being eaten. Surplus food is
stored in the same way (caching) and portions taken as needed.

Hope this information is of some use to you.

Reference:

Kristin, A., Yosef, R. And Tryjanowski, P. (2004). Advances in Shrikeology:
the 4th International Shrike Symposium, Chemnitz, Germany. Biological Lett.
41(2): 59-63.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW