birding-aus

marbled frogmouth musings

To: Greg Roberts <>, <>
Subject: marbled frogmouth musings
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 22:02:53 +1000
Interesting musings indeed, Greg.

I tape-recorded the species in the Conondale Ranges in '79, and of more
significance, the late David Behrens spent a couple of weeks with them in
1993 recording as many of their calls as he could.

David did this in association with the work of scientists of the Biological
Section of the Forestry Division of the Department of Primary Industries.
They were mist-netting and radio tracking the frogmouths, and one purpose of
David's extensive recording was to enable them to try to identify individual
birds by the sound patterns of their calls.

Do you happen to know, Greg, whether anything was published from this work?
I think that David told me that the scientist in charge of the work was a Dr
Geoffrey (or Jeffry?) Smith.

One of their common calls ends with a very loud 'clap'.   Is it known
whether this is a voiced sound, or made by snapping the beak?  Or even with
the wings?

(David noted that when called up by replay they sometimes approach with very
noisy wing-flaps though their normal flight is silent.)

Cheers

Syd