birding-aus

China Trip Part 3

To: <>
Subject: China Trip Part 3
From: "Richard Jenkin" <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 17:51:25 +1000
BEIJING

Tree Sparrow

Feral Pigeon

Common Magpie  ( very common in downtown Beijing )

Azure-winged Magpie

Large-billed Crow

Eurasian Sparrowhawk

Asian House Martin

Fork-tailed Swift

Barn Swallow

Northern Hobby

Mallard

Black-crowned Night Heron

Common Swift

Spotted Turtle Dove

White-cheeked Starling

Daurian Redstart (4)

Godlewski's Bunting ( 10)

Mandarin Duck (6)

Common Kingfisher (2)

Great-spotted Woodpecker

Peregrine Falcon

Upland Buzzard

Red-billed Chough ( 9)

Grey Heron

White Wagtail ( several)

Meadow Bunting  (6)

Grey Wagtail ( several)

Ibisbill (2)

Japanese Sparrowhawk

Long-billed Plover

Oriental Green Finch

Common Pheasant

Siberian Stonechat (5)

Russet Sparrow (2)

Eurasian Kestrel

Common Buzzard.

The last 22 of these were seen at Baihe Canyon, The Hobby and Eurasian
Sparrowhawk around the Great Wall at Badaling and the rest around Beijing.

SHANGHAI AND SUZHOU

Feral Pigeon

Tree Sparrow

Spotted Turtle Dove

Black-crowned Night Heron (4)

Chinese Bulbul

Common Coot (several)

Little Grebe  (10)

Eurasian Blackbird (common)

Azure-winged Magpie(6)

White Wagtail

Eastern Great Tit

Common Kingfisher

Chinese Grosbeak (3)

Dark-streaked Flycatcher (3)

Striated Heron (2)

Long-tailed Shrike (3)

Asian Brown Flycatcher (2)

Chinese Hwamei (escapee)

Red-billed Starling (3)

Vinous-throated Parrotbill (5)

Mugimaki Flycatcher

Crested Myna

Large-billed Crow

Barn Swallow

Purple Heron

Cattle Egret

Common Magpie (4)

Hawfinch

Blue Rock Thrush

Radde's Warbler (?)

Red-whiskered Bulbul ( Hong Kong airport)

Overall impressions were of a much cleaner and less polluted China than I
was expecting. There is massive construction going on but also enormous
amounts of tree planting as well. I realise full well that this doesn't
substitute for the native landscape but at least is better than whole scale
devastation.

The freeways are encroaching around the Ibisbill area so one wonders what
their future here holds .

I have included numbers where I have recorded them to give people an idea on
how common birds were.  Most without numbers beside them were one offs, or
in the case of the very common birds, not recorded.

Overall the most commonly seen birds were :

White Wagtail, Chinese Bulbul, Common Magpie, Azure-winged Magpie, Feral
Pigeon, Common Swift, Barn Swallow, Fork-tailed Swift, Cattle Egret, Tree
Sparrow, Spotted Turtle Dove, Eurasian Blackbird.

Highlights for me were :

Chinese Pond Heron's , all the Flycatchers, especially Yellow-rumped and
Mugimaki, the Redstarts, particularly the White-capped, Blue Whistling
Thrush, Great Barbet, Long-tailed Shrike, Ibisbill, Red-billed Chough,
Chinese Grosbeak, Vinous-throated Parrotbill and Mandarin Duck.

I have included a (?) beside the birds I am not 100% sure of my
identification, so any help or advice greatly appreciated. To the best of my
ability and knowledge the others are correct but I am open to suggestions if
anyone disagrees.

Dick Jenkin

Lynn and Dick Jenkin

Tashkent Friesians