birding-aus

Grey goshawks - not so secretive

To: <>
Subject: Grey goshawks - not so secretive
From: "Andrew Thelander" <>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:43:11 +1000
Hi all

As urbanization hits my home area of the Sunshine Coast, I have been forced
to rethink the description of Grey goshawks as secretive raptors of tall
forests (the notion I grew up with).  On my daily commutes along the Bruce
Highway in the early and late light hours, I regularly see up to 4 birds
hunting in the open right beside the traffic. They favour sitting on tall
street lights placed at intersections and occasionally I am lucky enough to
see one swoop down into the short grass after prey.  I have even seen one
way out in the open spaces of a vast sugar cane field where you more often
see kites and hobbies.

The birds have also had to adapt to urbanization spreading into the forest
areas the birds need for breeding and I know of at least one pair that
nested quite close to a bush block residence (though not visible from it).
That block was steep.  Had it been flat, it may well have been cleared for
pony paddocks and a dam.  Some nice forest parts of the Sunshine Coast have
already been lost to "ranch style" development where a house is built and
forest cleared for horses and fire risk minimization. This will continue
with the Queensland government's determination to see a huge population
increase in SE Qld over the coming decades.

The Grey goshawk's adaptability is in for a real test!

Regards

Andrew