birding-aus

Little Desert Trip

To: "'WALLACE BRUCE'" <>, <>
Subject: Little Desert Trip
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 18:05:13 +1000
Hi Wallace,

For camping your best bet is probably Kiata Campground (a few km south-east
of Nhill). There is another campground at Horseshoe Bend at the eastern end
of Little Desert National Park, but I haven't stayed there. If you don't
feel like camping, stay at the Little Desert Nature Lodge (also known as
"Whimpey's").

My wife Ruth, and I camped at Kiata a couple of weeks ago over the Anzac Day
long weekend. We had the campground to ourselves! At this time of year
though, it gets very cold in the mornings.

The campground and the Nature Discovery Walk (starting at the campground)
are great first thing in the morning. We found robins, thornbills of various
sorts and plenty of honeyeaters, including a Black Honeyeater, at the start
of the Discovery Walk. Not far from the campground is the Salt Lake Track -
you MUST have a 4WD to go beyond the information sign on this track though.
At the intersection of Salt Lake Track and Pump Jack Track you will find
Purple-gaped Honeyeaters - we found five very quickly and easily at this
point. Beyond the information sign the mallee thins out and is replaced by
low shrubs and saltbush. Eventually you'll get to the salt lake itself. Look
for Slender-billed Thornbills in the saltbush.

Another key place is the Little Desert Nature Lodge itself. There are some
good walks on the grounds. Look for Malleefowl (if there are any around) and
Diamond Firetail there. Also try Stringybark Walk, just south of the Nature
Lodge. The Harrow-Nhill Road is great - there are spots where you'll find
Slender-billed Thornbills here too (look for low shrubs and saltbush). Also
along this road look for neophema parrots. Most will be Blue-winged Parrots,
but recently Elegant Parrots have been seen there too.

Parks Vic Park Note: http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0368.pdf
Little Desert Nature Lodge: http://www.littledesertlodge.com.au/
Victorian Birdline reports:
http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=1