birding-aus

Bird Call Cd's

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Bird Call Cd's
From: Paul Jacobson <>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 06:52:20 +1000
Hi Peter,

There is a limited range of calls in this format on
http://www.xeno-canto.org/Australasia. Xeno-canto relies entirely on user
submitted recordings, so the best way to improve the database is for those who
are interested in bird call to start recording and submit recordings to the
database.

You can edit the CD calls using something like the free cross platform sound
editor Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/    There is a nice
sonogram/spectrum view which make it very easy to identify the gaps between
calls and also allows you to visualise the details of the call which can make
learn the subtle differences much more easily discernible.

A fantastic book for understanding songrams and bird call is The Sound Approach
to Birding by Mark Constantine  ( http://www.soundapproach.co.uk ) . The
examples are primarily European but I haven't seen the information presented in
such a reader friendly way before.   Andrew Isles appears to have this book
available.

cheers
Paul