birding-aus

Decimal Vs Sexagesimal Notation for Geographical Location

To: Jim Smart <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Decimal Vs Sexagesimal Notation for Geographical Location
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 16:19:12 +1000
I guess the real problem is making sure that the form caters for whatever
notation your particular device uses, as having to translate between them is
annoying and error prone. I'd suggest that where possible, forms should allow
for every notation that's likely to be used.

Otherwise, I don't care which notation is used, although decimal degrees can be
easy to get wrong because there are no breaks between the groups of digits,
e.g. you can leave out a digit or tranpsose them without noticing.

Peter Shute