birding-aus

Trip to Cue WA

To: birdswa email list <>
Subject: Trip to Cue WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 18:10:10 +0800

Just been to Cue and back (Wed to Fri) with a friend Rob Lambert from the UK.

It is extraordinarily dry still in most of the area from Payne's Find to Cue. A few small patches greening up. Nallan Station hasn't had decent rain for more than 10 years.

A few sightings of interest.

Purple-crowned Lorikeet (15) about 2km south of Payne's Find. I was very surprised to see them here. I have seen then at Charles Darwin Reserve back towards Wubin, but this is 100km away.

Major Mitchell Cockatoo (30+) about 20km south of Payne's Find. These do occur irregularly throughout the area, although this is the first time I have seen them along this road.

Slender-billed Thornbill (1) near Lake Austin south of Cue. The samphire is in very bad condition through most of this area, but there was one area where it was good in patches. We looked unsuccessfully for Rufous Fieldwren, but I was very surprised to find a Slender-billed Thornbill. This is the first I have seen it around Cue, although years ago I saw some at Lake Annean further north near Meekatharra.

Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush (3). A pair seen at my CBQT site off the Sandstone road, plus three Bourke's Parrots. A female CBQT flew across the road between Mt Magnet and Cue.

Crimson Chat (~50). Found in a small area of green close to Austin Downs Station west of Cue. A few White-fronted Honeyeaters were also in the area, but none of the other nomadic type species such as Black Honeyeater, Pied Honeyeater, Masked Woodswallow, Budgerigar, Cockatiel, etc.

Banded Whiteface (3) found at my site west of Cue.

There was some water in the lake south of the main Lake Austin. This is where the SBT was. There were 100+ Red-capped Plovers on the lake. Lake Nallan had some water in it. Nothing significant except maybe a Red-necked Stint and three Red-necked Avocet.

Other nice birds were White-backed Swallow (2), Redthroat (1), Banded Stilt (1), Little Woodswallow (6), White-winged Fairy-wren (3).

No Slaty-backed Thornbills, although we didn't look extensively for them as Rob had seen them near Shark Bay.

We quickly looked for Grey Honeyeater along the road south of Payne's Find without success.

Another highlight were four Broad-banded Sand-swimmers (Eramiascincus richardsonii) at the cottage at Nallan Station just after dark.