birding-aus

Cape York - Fawn Breasted Bowerbirds

To: <>
Subject: Cape York - Fawn Breasted Bowerbirds
From: "Lisa & Dominic" <>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 07:51:50 +1000
Fawn-breasted Bowerbirds

We are attempting to try and investigate Fawn-breasted Bowerbirds on Cape York.
Populations of these birds appear to have crashed in the Cape over the last ten
years. They are becoming very hard to find at traditional sites around the Iron
range and Bamaga. But we have anecdotal evidence they may still exist around
Seisa.

One possible reason we are investigating is that fire may be destroying their
food source.

I am writing to ask, could all visitors birding in Cape York please be on the
look out for bowerbirds. Could you please let us know your experiences, good or
bad, in finding these birds.

In particular if anyone is visiting Seisa could they let us know what they find.

Thank You

Dominic Chaplin

Birds Australia North Queensland

Tel 0419 028 077 Fax 07 4051 4896