birding-aus

conservation status of Australasian Bittern in Victoria

To: Peter Menkhorst <>
Subject: conservation status of Australasian Bittern in Victoria
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 21:10:42 +1000
Hi Peter,

Thanks for following up my email and I apologise to all for not checking the
actual legal status of the AB in Vic. And as you say Peter, it is the loss
of habitat that is the biggest threat in this time of low rainfall. This
rainfall shortage is certainly nothing any government can control. Also,
bodies like DSE, I know, are doing all they can to help the AB.

There is even a slight possibility that AB numbers increased with the
introduction of irrigated farming in the early 1900s and are now in a
process of returning to earlier numbers. Whatever the cause or situation, it
seems to me that it is sad that such a secretive and threatened bird does
not get all the help possible.

While hopefully none, or very few, would get shot during hunting season the
disturbance would certainly not help. Conversely, flooded hunting wetlands
may even help the situation so I do not want to start an anti hunting
discussion. My hope though would be that wetlands with known populations of
AB (Reedy Lake in Vic. etc) could be exempted from future hunting, at least
until other AB habitats outside Vic can recover.

Thanks again Peter

Jen