birding-aus

Interesting sightings from FNQ

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Interesting sightings from FNQ
From: "Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 21:36:45 +1000
A week ago I spent 5 days in Port Douglas (23rd to 27th April) and birded
for some of that time (about 3 days) in the general area, which I visit once
or twice each year. I again received helpful suggestions from Keith &
Lindsay Fisher at Kingfisher Park, went out again with Chris Dahlberg on one
of his marvellous early morning boat trips on the Daintree River, and spent
a long half-day with Del Richards (Fine Feather Tours) and two of his
clients (Del very kindly invited me to join them). I am grateful to all of
them for their expertise and warm hospitality.

My bird-list was 120 species, of which the following were notable and/or
interesting:

.         Lesser Frigatebird (F) - flying over Port Douglas township.

.         White-gaped Honeyeater - at Cooktown Crossing on the Mitchell
River (nowhere near Cooktown!). Del advises me that this sighting (which he
subsequently confirmed on call - he didn't see the birds) represents an
extension of their known range. He plans to submit the appropriate report.

.         Brown Treecreeper (black form) - on the road to Cooktown Crossing.

.         White-browed Robin - at Lake Mitchell (a serendipitous sighting).

.         Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher - slightly late-departing birds,
one at Kingfisher Park, the other off Euluma Creek Rd, Julatten.

.         Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo - also off Euluma Creek Rd.

.         Lovely Fairy-wren (M) - also off Euluma Creek Rd.

.         Great-billed Heron - perched and flying on Stewart Creek near
Daintree Village.

.         Little Kingfisher - on another tributary of the Daintree River.

.         Northern Fantail - on Weatherby Rd, between Julatten & Mt Molloy.

Richard NOWOTNY

Port Melbourne, Victoria

M: 0438 224 456