birding-aus

Pitta Flight Calls

Subject: Pitta Flight Calls
From: Roger McNeill <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:21:39 -0700 (PDT)
Sunday morning I woke up about 3:45 to the sound of a Noisy Pitta calling as it
flew over the house.  The first was loud enough to wake me up and the bird
called 3 more two note phrases as it flew into the distance.  My home is about
8K's away from Mt Glorious, as the pitta flys, where they breed.  The bird was
flying towards the South East.

I mentioned this to Tom Tarrent who lives up the road and he had a similar
experience about 20 years ago, coincidently also in April when he was camping
in Dayboro.

When I lived in the US, I often sat outside on Spring nights and counted the
different species of migrating birds by their call notes.  Indigo Buntings,
Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, various Sparrows and Thrushes all have
distinctive nocturnal flight calls, but again this was mostly in the Spring.

Any comments to this, do other people regularly hear pittas during their autumn
migrations?

Cheers,
 Roger

Roger McNeill