birding-aus

Possible Grey Falcon at Fivebough Swamp, Leeton, NSW?

To: <>
Subject: Possible Grey Falcon at Fivebough Swamp, Leeton, NSW?
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:57:42 +1000
Hi birders,

On the weekend I was returning from a brilliant evening out spotlighting
Plains-wanderers with Simon Starr (and 2 other birders from Melbourne),
when I swung by Fivebough Swamp on the way back to Wagga Wagga. It was
rubbish. There was nothing about except for hundreds of dragon-flies,
and lots of ants.

I was cursing my decision to head there instead of going straight to
Wagga to watch the Demons belt Ninthmond in the AFL, when I started
taking photos of a Brown Goshawk flying overhead. I then noticed a
slightly smaller falcon flying slightly below it, and took the requisite
ID record shot photos of it, thinking "hmm - what's that?" I got the
bins on it realizing I didn't quite know what it was, tracked it into
the sun, got dazzled and couldn't relocate the bird after I regained the
power of sight. Put down "weird Peregrine, check photos" in the
notebook, and jumped in the car to continue on my 2 part journey home.
It was also quite a glary midday/afternoon, with light cloud obscuring
the sun, making the photos pretty dark.

I arrived back in Sydney last night, and got the photos off the camera
and onto the screen, and thought to myself - this is a Grey Falcon, or a
good candidate for it.

I've never seen one before, and would appreciate the assistance of the
broader birding community in helping me work out if this is, or isn't, a
Grey Falcon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtroy/4536924553/sizes/o/ is the 100% crop
of 4 photos showing the bird in question. You can see the fairly bright
yellow legs and in the shot in the top left you can see it looking up at
the goshawk, which shows a bit of crown.

Any clarification from the experts is much appreciated.

Incidentally, there are some other shots from my trip to Victoria and
the Terricks, including some Plains-wanderer action here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtroy/sets/72157623769364259/

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers

Troy