birding-aus

Warriewood Wetlands/Irrawong Reserve, Sydney northern Beaches 11 Aprl

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetlands/Irrawong Reserve, Sydney northern Beaches 11 Aprl
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 18:06:07 +1000
Hi All
I went to this site for a walk this morning - I didn't see anything spectacular or out of the ordinary, but it certainly wasn't a quiet walk as the Swamp Mahogany is coming into flower and it's Lorikeet central - Rainbows, Musks and a few Scaly Breasted. 2 very small Lorikeets also shot through without me being able to get a good look, so maybe even Littles too. Certainly worth keeping an eye on the site as the Swamp Mahogany looks like it's got a fair while to go yet and previous good flowerings have brought in good birds including Swift Parrots.

Elsewhere on the walk, the Brown Gerygones were very busy, as were the 4 Eastern Whipbirds having a calling duel around the heavily overgrown area near the elevated boardwalk in Irrawong Reserve. I also saw a Brown Goshawk circling above the trees (not popular with the lorikeets) and a very vocal White Throated Treecreeper and Fan Tailed Cuckoo at the Cabbage Tree Palm grove

On the way home, two sightings that I couldn't easily stop for (mostly as I was being tailgated by a very pushy ute driver) - on Powderworks Road what looked like a squashed Pheasant Coucal, and on Mona vale Road just by the Baha'i temple, a Cuckoo Shrike that was very white underneath and didn't seem to have a darker head, so possibly a Little, although I think this is a very unusual bird on the northern beaches?

Cheers
Tom Wilson