birding-aus

Trip report: Durikai State Forest QLD (short)

To: <>
Subject: Trip report: Durikai State Forest QLD (short)
From: "Steve" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 14:43:34 +1000
Hello all. I spent most of yesterday at Durikai State Forest west of Warwick
in QLD.  The best birds seen were Musk Lorikeet, Buff-rumped Thornbill,
Diamond Firetail and Speckled Warbler. The waterhole had way less
honeyeaters than I'm used to seeing there, maybe because there is plenty of
standing water scattered around the forest at the moment and there is no
real need for birds to use the waterhole (I'm guessing). Also, there are few
trees in flower. Some Eucalypts with white flowers (someone might be able to
identify from the pics at wildiaries). Nevertheless, I still managed 34
species and it's always worth a visit. I like to cruise the firetrails
making random stops. The tracks are fairly flat and I used to take a 2WD ute
along them with no hassles. By the way, driving the firetrails is
allowed.you just have to close the gates. If anyone wants to view the list
or see a few photos go to http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/316

Cheers Steve Murray