birding-aus

Ducks on highway

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ducks on highway
From: "Jan England " <>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 22:39:29 +1000
HI Everyone,

I was driving home this afternoon along the Burnett Highway between Yarraman
and Blackbutt when I could see this dark shape moving across the road ahead of
me.  It looked strange with the leading edge much bigger than the rest of the
line.  As I moved closer I realised it was a line of ducks with an adult Black
Duck leading 10-12 tiny ducklings.  They were travelling as fast as their
little legs could carry them and luckily I was the only car in the area at that
time.  There had been a heavy volume of traffic all along the way and lucky for
them there was a break in the traffic which allowed them to cross.  Could
she/he anticipate this or was it just luck?

Jan