birding-aus

ground parrots sunshine coast

To: <>
Subject: ground parrots sunshine coast
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 19:59:51 +1000
At sunset this evening I was very pleased to hear two Ground Parrots calling
in wallum heath near Coolum, in the heart of the Sunshine Coast. While I
have two sites near Noosa at the northern end of the coast where I regularly
see the birds, my previous attempts to encounter the species in its old
haunts further south have been unsuccessful until now.
It is heartening that this endangered species is hanging on in the midst of
such a densely populated area. Locals who have monitored the birds over the
years (Lyn Boston has done plenty of good work) tell me that 10-15 years
ago, the parrots were uncommon but present in small numbers. However, there
appear to be very few birds surviving south of Noosa these days.

Greg Roberts