birding-aus

Barking Owls in SEQ

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Barking Owls in SEQ
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:59:51 +1000
Hi all,

Ok, so firstly, thanks everyone for all their responses.  I've had numerous
firsthand accounts and offers of photos so clearly I was wrong about the
lack of Barking Owls in the region.  I think it is interesting that apart
from Birdata and HANZAB, this is the first I, as a resident of the region
for 30 years, have heard of the possibility of seeing these birds in the
region.  Despite their apparent rarity in the area, people seem not to
report them widely when found.  Two further points then.  None of the
twelve months.  My plan now is to try and deliberately find a Barking Owl in
SEQ this year, so if anyone has any further advice to offer, please either
share it on the group or contact me directly offline if you are worried
about sensitivity of information.  I've also been asked to collate
information I'm receiving and write a brief note for Sunbird, so if you
haven't emailed my yet about a sighting you may have had in the region
please do (lets include Sunshine Coast out to Barakula, Traprock Country and
the Granite Belt to the border).

Regards,
Chris