birding-aus

North Queensland: Blue-faced Parrot-Finch, et al.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: North Queensland: Blue-faced Parrot-Finch, et al.
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:19:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,
I spent a few days recently in North Queensland (19th - 22nd March), flying
into Townsville and making my way up to the Daintree. I’d recommend the easy 4
day trip to anyone.
Key areas I visited were Paluma N.P., Townsville Town Common Conservation Park,
Mission Beach area, Kuranda N.P., Mount Lewis and Daintree N.P..
There were a number of highlights for me including the Blue-faced Parrot-Finch
and Tooth-billed Bowerbird on Mt. Lewis (Del Richards arrived with a group so
good timing for me, thanks Del!). This incredibly nature rich region is up
there with my birding favourites.
Some of the key sightings included:

Australian Bustard. 2 seen at Mary Creek, which is near Mt. Carbine)

Brolga. 2 seen at Townsville Town Common

Superb Fruit-Dove. Female seen in Daintree N.P.

Double-eyed Fig-Parrot. 1 seen on Mt. Lewis.

Barking Owl. 1 seen at Julatten

Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher. Several seen at Julatten, Kuranda and
Daintree

Noisy Pitta, Julatten

Atherton Scrubwren, Mt. Lewis (near the dam)

Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Mt. Lewis

Mountain Thornbill, Mt.Lewis

Macleay’s Honeyeater, Kuranda N.P. and Julatten

Graceful Honeyeater, Daintree N.P.

Bridled Honeyeater, Abattoir Swamp (nr. Julatten)

Varied Honeyeater, Cairns

Eastern Spinebill, Paluma N.P.

Dusky Honeyeater, Paluma N.P. and Daintree N.P.

Chowchilla, Paluma N.P. and Mt. Lewis

Pale-yellow Robin, Paluma N.P.

Grey-headed Robin, Paluma N.P, Kuranda N.P. (I thought this was quite low to
see one) and Mt. Lewis

Bower’s Shrike-Thrush, Paluma N.P. and Mt. Lewis

Golden Whistler, Mt. Lewis

Grey Whistler, Daintree N.P.

Grey Fantail, Mt. Lewis

Spectacled Monarch, Julatten and Daintree N.P.

Pied Monarch, Kuranda N.P.

Victoria’s Riflebird. Female seen at Mt. Lewis

Emerald Dove, Mt. Lewis (on the road up)

Spotted Catbird, Kuranda N.P. and Daintree N.P.

Great Bowerbird, Townsville Town Common

Black Butcherbird, Daintree N.P.

Tooth-billed Bowerbird, Mt. Lewis (thanks again Del)

Australian Pipit, Townsville Town Common

Jabiru, Townsville Town Common

Blue-faced Parrot-Finch. 4-5 seen at the grass clearing on Mt. Lewis.

Bassian Thrush? Mt. Lewis

Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Paluma N.P. and Daintree N.P.

Fernwren, Paluma
I searched long and hard for a Cassowary (having seen them in Kuranda before)
but had no luck this time around.

Thanks also to Kath for the tips who was looking after things at Kingfisher
Park at Julatten.

Can’t wait to get back to this wonderful part of Australia.
Cheers,
Charles Hunter
Paddington, Sydney