birding-aus

Powerful Owl, Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Powerful Owl, Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 01:23:38 +1000
Hi all,

As I write this, something pretty amazing is happening outside my house.  I
have a Powerful Owl calling from a tree in my front yard.  I live in
suburbia, and while there is a vegetation corridor from here to Mt Coot-tha,
where there has been a resident pair for many years, this is the first
Powerful Owl I have heard, let alone seen, anywhere near here.  This is
definitely not the bird I would have picked as being the next new addition
to my area list, let alone yard list.  Sadly, despite the abundance of
possums in the area, I sincerely doubt it will stick around given the lack
of good roosting habitat and complete lack of nesting hollows.  I'll keep
you posted if it turns up again.

Regards,
Chris

ps. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I'm less tired.