birding-aus

Some Tassie Birds and GroundP at Currarong

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Some Tassie Birds and GroundP at Currarong
From: Evan Beaver <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:50:02 +1100
Hi Birders,

Haven't posted for a while because my bins have been getting dusty
while I concentrate on gardening for a while. But, I happily have some
recent ticks and sightings to report.

Firstly, from the 20th of Feb I had terrific views of a Ground Parrot
at Currarong. Somewhere near here:
http://tinyurl.com/yf8w4fw
I only mention it because I thought someone was monitoring the species
around that area.
Was particularly gratifying as we were walking in pouring rain and I'd
just said to some climbing mates "keep an eye out for a fat shaggy
budgie, it's pretty rare". Then there it was.

Last couple of weeks though, I've been bush walking a lot and climbing
a little in Tasmania. I spent a good deal of time sitting on
Whitewater wall and the other sea cliffs in the middle of Freycinet
NP. It took a couple of days to get my eye back in but I saw some good
birds. Both the big gulls, a couple of different jaeger, Caspian
Terns, BB and YN Albatross, plenty of gannets. Had terrific views of a
couple of terns fighting over a decent sized slimey mackeral and
moderately good views of Sooty Albatross and Grey Headed Albatross. I
am working off a 7th Ed Pizzey so neither of those species are
probably recognised any more.

Otherwise I didn't do much specific birding and was pretty focussed on
walking up and down hills. Had terrific views of a lot of the mammals
and monotremes, but missed some birds as I shed my binoculars in an
effort to shed some pack weight.

For those who like looking at photos I'll post a link later.

Lastly, Randall, who I met in Mt field NP, how'd you go with the Pardalote.

EB

--
Evan Beaver
Downer, ACT