birding-aus

RE: White-bellied Sea-eagles, Lane Cove River

To: Stephen Ambrose <>
Subject: RE: White-bellied Sea-eagles, Lane Cove River
From: <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:24:46 +1100
Hi Stephen,

I've always wondered what the normal home range is for the pair at Homebush
Bay. I've seen them disappear east over Hen & Chicken Bay on numerous occasions
and also south towards the Cooks River as if they were heading down towards
Botany Bay. It would not surprise me if they do make trips into Lane Cove. When
people have asked me I've always said that their "territory" must extend at
least to the Gladesville Bridge along Parramatta River, east of which they are
more likely to run into other birds from the northern beaches. Other
sea-eagles, of course, occasionally turn up at Homebush Bay too, especially
young birds.

If anyone has any recent photos (within last 2 years) of sea-eagles in flight
over the Sydney Metro area, east of Homebush, then please forward them to me at
this address or to Judy (address above) with a rough location and date of where
and when the photo was taken. They do not have to be brilliant photos, but if
they show the underwing pattern or gaps and notches in feathers etc that would
identify our local birds it would be really useful for our study of the
Homebush Bay sea-eagles.

Thanks very much,

Jon Irvine,
Homebush Bay (currently in UK)