birding-aus

Wesley the Owl - Facts or Fiction?

To: Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Wesley the Owl - Facts or Fiction?
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:45:18 +1000
Hi Syd,

On the subject of poop, I can only assume this is a localized term within
the US?  Regarding the depth perception and head movement, I have definitely
heard that Tyto owls get better location of targets via hearing by moving
their head side to side to "triangulate" the source of the sound.  Remember
their face is one big dish focusing sounds to their ears.  Not sure if it
would help vision or depth perception though.  Perhaps Steven Debus can shed
some light on this one?

Regards,
Chris