birding-aus

re: RFI Panti Forest - Johor Bahru

Subject: re: RFI Panti Forest - Johor Bahru
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:33:37 +1100
Steve,

I visited Panti in 2002, it's really not a National Park or anything similar more like a state forest and there was quite a bit of logging happening. There was not a great deal of trail walking to be done, just short walks from the car. I suspect the good bird areas change as logging occurs and regrowth occurs.

I got a ride with a Singapore local who picked me up at 5:00am from my hotel and took me out there, we were back across the causeway by about 2-3:00pm and he dropped me off at the Sungei Buroh nature reserve on the north side of Singapore and I later got a bus then the MRT back to town. This was on a Saturday when a group of people who go there regularly were heading out. I'm not aware of any public transport there and I'd hesitate to try to find the right areas myself. Though I'm sure you could get a cab to take you from Jahore, but I'm not sure of the ability of a Singapore cab to cross the causeway into Malaysia. Your best bet is to find some locals going out there and see if you can hitch a ride. Posting on one of the Asian bird forums is a good bet. Having said that we saw some good birds and I grabbed this shot:

http://www.aus-natural.com/Birds/Others/slides/Oriental%20Dwarf%20Kingfisher.html

There was not a lot around there and I'm not aware of any maps, I don't recall anything on the road between Jahore and the forest other than small villages.

Chris Ross
www.aus-natural.com <http://www.aus-natural.com>