birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 01:31:01 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 7 Mar 2010.

Sun 7 Mar       White-throated Needletail Wilby
Flocks overhead for much of the afternoon before a large storm late in
the day. Some birds were even seen in heavy rain. A count of 185 birds,
but more were probably present.
Michael Ramsey

        White-throated Gerygone, Leaden Flycatcher, White-throated
Needletail Warby Range State Park
A good afternoon of birding in between the recent storms. A juvenile
White-throated Gerygone was seen along Adams Road and another heard.
Also two juvenile Leaden Flycatchers, with buffy edges to their wings. A
small flock of White-throated Needletails were at Perimeter Track. More,
about 20 at Granite Track. Other nice birds around included Speckled
Warbler, Turquoise Parrot (3), Little Lorikeet and Spotted Pardalote
(first autumn-winter dispersal record this year) and Southern Whiteface.
Michael Ramsey

        Spotted Quail-thrush Steiglitz-Durdidwarrah Road, Steiglitz
Historical Park.
Mid arvo flushed a pair of Sotted Quail-Thrushes from under a low shrub
on side of road directly opposite Pines car park, 2.5 KM East of
Steglitz township. Alighted from my vehicle and had great view of the
pair foraging on the ground.
warren palmer.

        Crimson Rosella Quarry Hill, Victoria 3550
First time that I have ever seen a crimson rosella in this area in the
40 years that I have lived here. One single bird right opposite the golf
course
Larry Wust

Sat 6 Mar       Little Egret Yarrawonga Weir
One bird was spotted with White-faced Herons, catching fish from rocks
at the waters edge. Not often seen in North East Victoria.
Michael Ramsey

        Stubble Quail Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Heading for The Spit just before sunrise, I came across a single Stubble
Quail feeding on The Spit road, at the far west end. It was happy to
keep feeding when I turned on the headlights, then the fog lights to try
to get a photo. I ended up waiting for the sun to come up a bit more for
this shot. My first good look at this species. Also heard a Stubble
Quail calling from what's labelled the T-section Grasslands on the map.
Peter Shute

        Black Falcon Rodborough Rd, Moolort Plains
Pair observed a number of times over an hour. A loose company of 8
Black-shouldered Kites along with Swamp Harrier, Nankeen Kestrel and
Brown Falcon in the same area.
Geoff Park

        Wedge-Tailed Eagle, Little Eagle, Whistling Kite Rowsley Valley,
near Bacchus Marsh.
A very productive day for raptors at the Rowsley Valley. Eight
Wedge-Tailed Eagles, five Little Eagles(including the juvenile in the
accompanying photo) and five Whistling Kites seen before the heavens
opened! I managed to get a frame including both a Whistling Kite and one
of the Wedge-Tails.
David Whelan

        Cockatiel Birds Land Reserve, Tecoma
I photographed a Cockatiel this morning; species never seen in the
Reserve over 15 years of regular visits.
Jill Wilson

Fri 5 Mar       Swift Parrot Just north of All Nations Park, Northcote
Noisy Swift Parrots (2-4) with Musk, Rainbow and Scaly-breasted
Lorikeets - flying over home from nearby flowering Eucs.
Lawrie Conole

        Blue-faced Honeyeater Newstead township
Single adult in large Yellow Gums in centre of town. My first record of
this species for Newstead.
Geoff Park

        White-throated Needletail Newport Lakes Reserve
60+ WTNT seen this morning at 9.30, flying high, fast and direct,
heading east-nor-east. Also a Pied Cormorant flying over, and the
Australasian Grebe pair has successfully hatched out 3 chicks.
Steve Davidson

Thu 4 Mar       Swift Parrot Merri Creek, Clifton Hill
Two birds in flowering trees with Musk & Rainbow Lorikeets. Merri Creek
Clifton Hill at Heidelberg Road.
Lawrie Conole

        White-throated Needletails Noble St, Anglesea, Victoria
100-150 birds over Camp Wilkin at 37 Noble St Anglesesa. Many birds were
at tree top level in a loose flock but there were many other birds
higher and more distant. Some flew very close to me and the markings
were obvious. Bird gradually moved off but some remained in the area
until dusk.
Jim Caine

Wed 3 Mar       Turquoise Parrot Labertouche North, Bunyip State Park
6 - 8 birds seen on a couple of occasions during the day.
John Stirling, Arthur Carew

        Long-billed Corella Holmesglen Institue
At least 30 birds seen yesterday and today, roosting on buildings and in
trees near Warrigal Road.
D. Lustig

        Collared Sparrowhawk (likely imm male) Flagstaff Gardens
In "Powerful Owl tree", William Street, almost opposite A'Beckett St,
consuming what seemed likely from discarded feathers to have been,
indeed, a sparrow.
Patsy martin per Jack Krohn

Tue 2 Mar       Arctic Jaeger Corio Bay
I have seen one or two Arctic Jaegers several times over the last week.
They have been harassing Silver Gulls at Limeburners Lagoon (the NW
corner of Corio Bay, near the mouth of Hovells Creek). There were two
birds on Tues 2 March. They were independently bothering several groups
of gulls, but they flew off more or less at the same time. I watched
them for about 20 minutes. One flew close enough for me to pick up all
the characteristic ID marks (they were both dark birds).
Russell Woodford

        Rainbow Bee-eater Boort
A large number, any where between 50 - 100 Rainbow BE's came in to roost
for the evening along with 100,s of corellas on the west side of Little
Lake Boort. There were a large range of water bird species foraging in
the lake, but could not find anything unusual worth reporting there.
Andrew McCutcheon

        Fairy Prion Mordialloc Beach
Dead, about 150m south of Mordialloc Creek
Roger Francey

        Grey (White) Goshawk, 30 Rainbow Bee-eaters Camp Rd., Kamarooka,
just west of Bagshot North Road (also known as East Kamarooka Road)
Goshawk perched and flew short distances before flying off in an
easterly direction. Bee-eaters were very active and noisy. Perhaps
spooked by the Goshawk.
Pam & John Land

        Latham's Snipe Heathdale Glen Orden Wetlands, Werribee. (Melways
map 206.B 3)
Five snipe all flushed from tall grassy margins of Wetland at 1600hrs. A
reliable spot for these birds in season, but difficult to observe unless
flushed.
Peter Gibbons.

        Little Curlew, Peregrine Falcon, Black Falcon, Aust. Hobby Point
Wilson
Black Falcon seen on Point Wilson Rd at about 9am just before road bends
after Austin Rd. Adult Peregrine seen at 10am on Beach Rd near the
entrance gate to WTP. Had prey and flew off as car past. Hobby seen 5
mins later near the boat ramp at end of Beach Rd. *** Also, Little
Curlew still on Bulban Rd, Little River with Banded Lapwings***
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Sun 28 Feb      White-bellied Sea-eagle, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Little
Curlew, Brolga etc Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
1 immature White-bellied Sea-eagle seen just north-east of Little River
Mouth. 1 Wedge-tailed Eagle just west of Conservation Pond on South Rd.
2 Little Curlews at Austin Rd Lagoon. 3 Brolgas seen west of Point
Wilson Rd. 2 adults & a juvenile, the juvenile flew off with the adults.
A very large number of terns roosting just north-east of Beach Rd gate,
most noteably 145 Common Terns, 8 Fairy, 2 Little. About 20 or so
White-winged Black Terns in area (no Whiskered seen there). 1 Ruddy
Turnstone on same rocks & about 20 Bar-tailed Godwits. Male Zebra Finch
at T-Section Lagoon. 5 Black-tailed Godwits at Walsh's Lagoon.
Kevin's Bartram

        Little Curlew Bulban Road, Werribee/Little River
Seen at the same site as reported on Friday, 900 m W of Newton Road,
with up to a dozen Banded Lapwings. Only seen briefly twice, otherwise
hidden behind rocks or vegetation.
Alan Crawford

        Blue-faced Honeyeater Cardwell Street, Elmore
Several, male & female, amongst flowering gums in a native garden
Fiona Wilson and Mark Veitch

        Spotted Harrier 2 Km south of Wonthaggi (Cape Paterson Rd)
Seen next to road devouring Australian Magpie. Observed within 10 metres
for 10 seconds or so
Michael Tesch

Sat 27 Feb      Square-tailed Kite Earlston, 13 km north of Violet Town
1 ragged adult flew over property. In 2009 recorded an adult in same
location on March 1st
Doug Robinson

        Grey Goshawk Waterford Valley (City of Knox)
early pm. overcast, perched in a dead tree, a few metres from a Common
Myna, neither seemed concerned by the other. (1).
Peter Booth

Thu 11 Feb      Black Falcon Glenthompson
Seen flying near intersection of Toora Road and Maroona - Glenthompson
Road.
Inka Veltheim

Tue 29 Dec      Kelp Gull Bushrangers Bay east of Cape Schank
6 Kelp Gulls on beach, including one juvenile
Doug Robinson

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .