birding-aus

RFI - March travel options with our vehicle or fly/hire

To: Cheryl Ridge <>
Subject: RFI - March travel options with our vehicle or fly/hire
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:33:41 +1000
Have a gander at http://www.racq.com.au/benefits_and_discounts/road_conditions

You can find out about all the current road closures in Queensland there, and find links to road conditions in other States as well.

LK

On 07/03/2010, at 12:59 PM, Cheryl Ridge wrote:

Hi folks

Recently I put up a RFI re South East Queensland in March.
But we are unsure what to do because of the recent rains
and flooding. It is now confirmed though that we will have
some leave commencing mid March.

Thoughts are we do a road trip with own vehicle (non 4wd)
in which case we can include some camping but are restricted
to Vic, SA and NSW. Info on flooding/problem areas
much appreciated for riverland, lower Flinders Ranges, SW NSW etc.

OR

Fly to Gold Coast and hire a vehicle and make our way to
Hervey Bay (this would be new for us, would anyone
be able to tell us if this would be a problem with
current rains/flooding?).

OR

Fly to Alice Springs and hire a car/do day tours. Can anyone
please tell me about climate etc this time of year. We
have never been to the 'red centre'. We are also not
experienced 4wders so probably have to stick to main
tourist routes (?) or go on tours with more experienced
guides.

I was hoping with the collective helpful information
available via birding-aus that I can come up with
some rough plans (including back up plans) during
the next week.

Duration of travel, probably 10-14 days.
General current info on any of these places, useful tips,
areas to avoid etc ... would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl Ridge
Melbourne