birding-aus

Port Stephens Pelagic Sat 27th Feb 2010

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Port Stephens Pelagic Sat 27th Feb 2010
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 20:32:52 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

Herewith the trip report for last weekend's pelagic trip off Port Stephens
(NSW). The significance of this trip certainly did not lie in the diversity of
birds, but more from an organisational sense, in the fact that we should be
able to run more trips from Port Stephens in coming years. At this stage I do
not have any vacancies for the remaining 2010 trips.

Cheers,

Mick Roderick

---

Port Stephens Pelagic - Sat 27th Feb 2010

VESSEL: M.V.Argonaut, skippered by Ray Horsefield

OBSERVERS
Craig Anderson, Lorna Mee, Mike Newman, Jim Smart, Dan Williams, Rob Hynson,
Nikolas Haass, Raja Stephenson, Greg Little, Michael Kearns, Marj Kibby, Martin
Cachard, Steve Roderick and Mick Roderick (leader and organiser).

CONDITIONS
Gentle nor-east winds were the order of the day, never at any point making the
trip uncomfortable, peaking at about 10 knots in the early morning. This had
been typical of the lead-up weather, with the winds settling later in the week.
Seas were slight on a swell of about 1.5 to 2m.

HIGHLIGHTS
It’s a sad day when the only real highlight wasn’t able to be identified. About
an hour or so into the first drift at the shelf, a Fregetta-type Storm-Petrel
was seen briefly before disappearing. A few minutes later it reappeared in the
slick, but with the sun directly behind the bird the light was abominable. Key
features such as the belly and feet projection were not seen well by anyone on
board and amazingly, no decent photographs were able to assist us post
pelagicum.

SUMMARY
DepartedNelson Bay Public Wharfat 0700, returning at about 1630.

This was the “maiden pelagic” trip for the Argonaut and all aboard agreed that
the vessel would be suitable for future pelagic birding trips. This is very
promising, as interest in these trips has been astounding. Unfortunately, the
birds let the side down on this occasion. This was particularly disappointing
for those on board who were all aware of the incredible pelagic trips the
weekend before off Southport and Eaglehawk (and Sydney a few weeks before
that). To add to the excitement, one of the biggest game-fishing tournaments
was being held off Port Stephens the same weekend, and it was possible that
boats would have been burleying for sharks, potentially attracting more birds
to the area for us to look at.

Before we’d even left the heads we’d seen about 250 Wedge-tailed Shearwaters
attending a fishing trawler. Two Pomarine Jaegers were also seen in the port. A
small flock of Short-tailed Shearwaters were seen amongst the Wedgies close to
Boondelbah Island and at about 3 miles out we encountered our first
Flesh-footed Shearwaters and a single Arctic Jaeger.

We arrived at the shelf drop-off at about 1030 and headed an extra half mile
off to commence a drift. Apart from the chicken mince, fish oil and pilchard
mix, the customary rag soaked in cod liver oil was also set to create a slick.
Within a minute of cutting the engine the first Great-winged (Grey-faced)
Petrel appeared and there were to be a small number of these birds present
during our time in deep water.

A Wilson's Storm-Petrel was seen soon after and another Pomarine Jaeger came in
for a look. After about an hour Martin Cachard alerted everyone to a Stormy
with a white belly. This bird disappeared in front of the bow before returning
a few minutes later. It was soon obvious that we were looking at a
Fregetta-type bird but the light was very much against us and unfortunately
no-one could manage sufficient views of the critical features to be bale to
confirm it was either White-bellied or Black-bellied. The season would suggest
the former. We decided to run the boat up the edge of the slick but alas the
bird was not seen again.

A single Crested Tern flew over the boat to break the monotony of Wedgies and
Fleshies before a passing Hutton’s Shearwater made cause for some excitement
(anything with white on it was causing some excitement by this stage).

With the slight nor-east winds providing a bit of lift for the birds on the way
back in, the punters enjoyed some of the more game Shearwaters virtually
hovering over the stern of the boat. After the 3 hour motor back to port, a
single Australasian Gannet was seen in the vicinity of Boondelbah Island and
provided the only addition to the day’s list for the return trip. Within the
heads a Peregrine Falcon was seen giving a bit of curry to a Whistling Kite and
a single Little Penguin rounded out what was essentially a very disappointing
day from a diversity perspective.

BIRDS

Wilson’s Storm-Petrel: 1

Unidentified Storm-Petrel sp. (Fregetta sp.): 1

Wedge-tailed Shearwater: 600 (100) (about 250 near the boat inshore)

Flesh-footed Shearwater: 300 (40)

Short-tailed Shearwater: 10 (10)

Hutton’s Shearwater: 1

Great-winged (Grey-faced) Petrel: 8 (4)

Australasian Gannet: 1

Little Penguin: 1 (inshore)

Arctic Jaeger: 3 (1)

Pomarine Jaeger: 12 (3)

Crested Tern: 3 (2)

MAMMALS

Offshore Bottlenose Dolphins: A single, acrobatic pod of about 10 individuals
at the shelf.