birding-aus

Amytornis - online bird journal for WA

Subject: Amytornis - online bird journal for WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 00:15:53 +0800

The discussion about AFO possibly being published online is interesting. I probably prefer it being printed personally, but this is not a strong preference, and if it meant that it continued by being published online then I would support this.

In Western Australia, we decided that Birds Australia WA would publish a refereed journal named Amytornis. It was going to be printed and sent out essentially as an extra edition of WA Bird Notes. But the cost was prohibitive, and the suggestion was taken up to publish it online. So far one volume has been published, and is available via the BA web site.

Amytornis is to cover articles on the birds of Western Australia, Cocos Islands, Christmas Island and Ashmore Reef. It is refereed.

In theory, being online makes it possible to publish one paper at a time, rather than wait for a full volume. This hasn't happened yet, but this is more a case of the volunteer editors and referees having limited time, and especially a lack of papers being submitted, probably because its presence has not been widely advertised.