birding-aus

Yorke Peninsula.

To: <>
Subject: Yorke Peninsula.
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:01:31 +1030
Went over to Price yesterday morning with Enid Pascoe and found the site for
the Oriental Plovers fairly easily off the side of Hills Rd.  There were
four there, one in breeding plumage which was nice because we'd only ever
seen them in non-breeding before even up north . They were some distance
across the paddock so we had to use scopes to see them properly. They were
mixed in with a lot of Banded Lapwings - we counted up to fifty but there
were many more than that. There was also a flock of Pacific Golden Plovers
at the left end of the paddock.  It was getting hot so we took off to Ian
May's house in Price where Pat kindly served up coffee and bikkies and we
had a good chat.
After midday and with some good info from Ian we set off for Cape Elizabeth
where we found 7 Hooded Plovers and 26 Sanderlings after driving 8km north
along the beach from The Gap. Then we went for the Little Curlews near Bird
Island and found the right paddock. We worked the area for about three hours
but they didn't show - only one stationary Banded Lapwing was located after
much searching. Mind you, it was 38 degs C, so they were probably hiding
somewhere in the small patches of shade under some low bushes.  There were
lots of Orange Chats and Pipits about. We eventually gave up about 4.30 -
boy, was it hot !!  And the flies were wicked.  Ian said he was going out
there again this morning so we'll see how he goes.

Tony