birding-aus

Kununurra - Oriental Reed-Warbler

Subject: Kununurra - Oriental Reed-Warbler
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:50:25 +0800

Gary

I have seen Oriental Reed-Warbler at Kununurra (almost exactly where you saw it) in January 1996. I am interested that you didn't mention the very fine streaking on the throat, and the pink mouth when it sings. The latter is still the only reed warbler that I have seen with a pink mouth, even though people say that Australian Reed-Warbler may have this feature. They have always been orange when I have seen it. It did have a stronger range of calls. We saw probably two birds about 50 to 100 metres apart. The first was purely on the edge of the reeds and came as close as maybe 5 metres but a clear view from a boat ramp. It sang quite frequently. The other was further around to the right, and was in a tree above our heads and we saw the fine streaks on the throat. It did not call as often but enough to see it also had a pink mouth. With the first, we had two Australian Reed-Warblers flying from the reeds to a tree about 10 metres from the reeds and back a number of times, about 20 metres from the ORW.

I have seen a number of ORWs on Ashmore Reef, but none of them were singing. This was in October in two different years.