birding-aus

Petition opposing the proposed extension of bird hunting in Italy

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Petition opposing the proposed extension of bird hunting in Italy
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 08:25:07 +1000

I've just signed the petition discussed below, and I'd like to bring it to the
attention of birding-aus members.

While others more local to the situation can make representations in other
ways, we too can make a valuable contribution by helping to display the extent
of worldwide condemnation of these practices.

Bill Jolly

Dear All,

One of our customers asked to sign and distribute this online petition
http://www.lipu.it/tu_petizione_cacciaselvaggiaEN.htm against the extension of
hunting rights in Italy. Hunting along migrating routes in Italy and Malta
(online petition here http://www.birdlifemalta.org/petition/sign/ ) endangers
all the efforts other EU states do to protect migrating birds. Further on Italy
does not make adequate measures against North Italian restaurants which still
offer protected songbirds  on their menu.  Many of the birds on menus origin
from Bulgaria, Romania, ex-Yugoslavia (and formerly also from Hungary), and
each month Hungarian Customs Officers find hundreds of carcasses of protected
songbirds in cars or trucks driving to North Italy. So again, the bad habits of
Italians threatens not only the wildlife of Italy, but also the wildlife of
other countries as well.

I personally think that beside signing an online petitions, we have more
powerful tools to force governments to do more sound measures against hunting
protected and/or migrating birds. Boycotting the tourism of Malta or Faroe
Island (where each year hundreds of dolphins massacred) can have an immediate
effect. In case of Italy  boycotting the tourism of the  whole Italy is
impossible, but boycotting the tourism of Milan, Brescia, Lake Garda where
consumption of song birds as a delicacy is still common, can have some effect,
especially if it is backed with good marketing campaign.

Thanks, for reading this few lines, wish you good birding the whole year

Karoly

Dr. Karoly Teleki
www.hungarianbirdwatching.com