birding-aus

urgent help re hand reared grey currawong

Subject: urgent help re hand reared grey currawong
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 11:44:08 +1030
Has anyone in the group had any experience/good advice re hand-reared
currawongs? I received a fledgling grey currawong from Cockatoo Valley
(South Aus) last Sept. He had greenstick fractures to both legs but is
now fully recovered and a strapping, fit bird. He currently lives in my
large planted aviary with a couple of red wattlebirds, a new holland h/e
& a white-plume. While, miraculously, all is harmonious within the
aviary it's a different matter with my husband who has demanded I "get
rid of that noisy bird" (NOW!). I'm trying to weigh up the best option
for the bird. I'm considering a soft release at home but am not sure how
much road sense he has and how he is likely to fare. I live in Tanunda
(a town in the Barossa Valley) near the main street but also near a good
creekline with large river red gums and some reasonable understorey). I
have never seen or heard currawongs in the area. A friend who lives in
an area of great habitat next to Kaiser Stuhl conservation park has told
me he has heard the occasional currawong call at his place and would be
willing for me to put an aviary up on his property and put out food
(insectivore & granivore mix, cheese, fruit) out if I prepare it. But it
would traumatise the bird to catch him and put him in a strange aviary
in a strange place and I'm worried that he will be attacked by the local
magpies (who persecute my friend's chooks mercilessly) and be driven
away to face who knows what fate. The local magpies here have shown no
interest in him but there is a resident goshawk and I'm not sure whether
he poses a risk to my bird. Does anyone have any
advice/experience/bright ideas/ or know anyone who would like to give a
beautiful, playful bird a quality, loving home/has a lonely currawong
who needs a friend/mate? Please don't send rude replies as I'm attached
to the bird and feeling very upset about having to get rid of him.