birding-aus

RFI Cue - Mt Magnet, WA

To: <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI Cue - Mt Magnet, WA
From: John Graff <>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 13:14:28 +0800
Hi Peter,

I haven't yet had the chance to do too much birding up through the station
country in WA yet, but I did go on a campout organised by BAWA at Kirkalocka
Station last April. Kirkalocka is about 70km south of Mt Magnet, just off the
Great Northern Highway. Accomodation there is camping or basic rooms and I'm
fairly sure is open to the public all the time.

There were Western Bowerbirds around the camping/accomodation area and some
people saw Slaty-backed Thornbill. A couple of us were also fortunate enough to
see a pair of Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush on the other side of the highway,
along a track where the station owners took us for a sundowner.

We didn't see/hear any Chiming Wedgebills. If you're keen for this species, the
Shark Bay area may be worth visiting as I heard them everywhere around there
last time I was up there. You can probably get them somewhere around the Cue-Mt
Magnet area too though.

There are probably better spots for most of the species (like Nallan Station),
so hopefully others may be able to give you better info, but hopefully that's
useful,

Cheers,

John Graff

Perth, WA