birding-aus

New Silver Gull photo gallery

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: New Silver Gull photo gallery
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:15:26 +1000
At long last, after several years of cogitation, I have created a new gallery of photos of Silver Gulls and placed it on my SmugMug site for public viewing.

The gallery contains 77 images of Silver Gulls (Chroicocephalus
novaehollandiae) photographed exclusively in Australia.  Note: this
species was previously included in the Genus "Larus" but has recently been moved to the genus
"Chroicocephalus" (see "Systematics
and Taxonomy of Australian Birds" by Christidis & Boles, CSIRO Publishing,
2008).
I have attempted to describe the various plumage stages of the birds shown but
I have not attempted to determine the actual
sub-species. However, mainland Australian birds are all probably ssp
novaehollandiae while those in Tasmania are probably ssp gunni.
There is debate over the sub-species status of northern Australian birds but they are most likely to be ssp novaehollandiae rather than
forsteri.
Silver Gulls have six recognisable plumages but I have only shown five. I have
not to this time photographed downy chicks. I have
attempted to identify breeding and non-breeding birds amongst the adults but
not for the two immature stages.
Detailed information on plumages, etc, can be found in HANZAB Vol 3, (Handbook of
Australian New Zealand & Antarctic Birds, Oxford
University Press Australia, 1996).

To view the gallery:
- go to http://ptiloris.smugmug.com/
- on the Home page click on "Birds of Australia Sets" (or the associated Silver
Gull thumbnail)
- on the next page click on "Silver Gull" (or the associated Silver Gull
thumbnail)
- view the images
To see the largest size of each image hover the mouse cursor over the main photo and select "Original" from the pop-out menu. To return to the 'thumbnail' page click once on the displayed photo. Viewers using dial-up connections should be aware that the data sizes of the images range up to 250 KB with most being around 200 KB.

I hope you enjoy viewing this gallery but please respect my copyright of the
images therein. My photos are not for sale and are not
available for commercial use.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point