birding-aus

Birders inside the fenced area at Truganina Swamp (Vic)

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Birders inside the fenced area at Truganina Swamp (Vic)
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:14:41 +1100
I arrived at Mt St Joseph pond in Altona at around 7am this morning (26/1/10)
and on the way in I noticed someone inside the fenced area of Truganina Swamp,
way over near the main pond there.  A birder, I assume, as they were using a
scope.  As I left 2 hours later, they were still there, in roughly the same
spot, and I could see someone else on the other side of that pond with
binoculars.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to walk down there to talk to
them.

I'm just wondering whether these people were there with permission, or if
something so great has turned up there that birders are jumping the fence for a
look.  This is only the second time I've seen birders in there, normally it's
just people looking for a nice place to let their dogs run loose at the expense
of the environment, but I'm concerned that if dog walkers see people in there
then they'll feel entitled to follow.

Peter Shute