birding-aus

FW: Ivory billed woodpecker

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: FW: Ivory billed woodpecker
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:55:10 +1000

Thanks Chris.

I've been following Ivory-billed developments since the reported Arkansas
sightings in 2004, and this  very odd press-release claims a supposed Texas
sighting.

It appears that Daniel Rainsong is a former(?) professional gambler, and
non-birder so far as I can tell, who announced that he intended to find an
Ivory-billed Woodpecker, with a view to claiming the $50,000 reward ofered by
Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

He advertised for a photographer/assistant to accompany him to the Sabine River
in Texas "from December 21, 2009 until January 3, 2010".

He claims to have sighted and photographed the bird on 29 December.

His press-release lists five eminent academic contacts that he has notified
about his discovery.
The first of these, Dr. James Van Remsen, curator of birds at Louisiana State
University's Museum of Natural Science has since advised that Mr Rainsong
visited him, "but he would not show me his photographic evidence. He said he
had to develop them."

One entry point for anyone who would like to dig further into this morass is:
http://cs.birdersworld.com/brdcs/blogs/field_of_view/2010/01/22/woodpecker-experts-haven-t-seen-supposed-ivory-bill-photos.aspx

Bill Jolly
"Abberton"
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

(27o 34' 21" S; 152o 08' 21" E)

> Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 03:50:04 -0800
> Subject: Ivory billed woodpecker (was Re: [Birding-Aus] Hoax, Hybrid or Poor
> Photo?)
> CC:
>
> And today's announcement that the ivory-billed woodpecker was twice
> photographed last month.
>

> http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/ibw-rainsong/
>
> Chris
>

> On 23/01/2010, at 10:45 PM, Laurie Knight <> wrote:
>
> Odd birds can generate odd reactions. Consider the following thread on Bird
> Forum - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161527
>
> Is the bird a strange Pallas Gull or something constructed in Photoshop?
>
> LK
> to:

> to:

Start searching NOW! Search for properties that match your lifestyle!