birding-aus

Kookaburras nesting.

To: "Birds" <>
Subject: Kookaburras nesting.
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:39:10 +1030
As previously noted we have a pair of Kookaburras nesting in a large
palm tree ( hole is where fronds have broken off) in our back garden in
NE Adelaide. They have successfully nested there for the last four years
that we know of .They usually nest around October with the young
fledging in November, then both adults and juveniles disappear for most
of the rest of the year until the next October, only very occasionally
appearing during that time.
This year however, having gone through the usual routine described
above, they appear to be nesting again, starting about two weeks ago.
They are behaving exactly as they do in October, back and forwards to
the nest site continuously. This has not happened before during the last
four years. Does anyone have any info regarding the double nesting of
Kookaburras ?  The weather conditions are not noticeably different for
this time of year, although we did get a lot of rain mid year in '09.
Any ideas ?

Tony