birding-aus

Godwits and Spoonbills in The Alice

Subject: Godwits and Spoonbills in The Alice
From: Christopher Watson <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:36:54 +0930
Just got back to Alice today and had to reacquaint myself with the sewage
ponds and I'm very glad that I did.

Flushed 3 Black-tailed Godwits which later gave me great views. Surprised to
find them out here - but I'm often surprised at what turns up in Alice.

...and not just the Godwits either - 2 Yellow-billed Spoonbills, a Royal
Spoonbill, 4 Common Sandpipers, 3 Wood Sandpipers, 2 Marsh Sandpipers, at
least 1 Common Greenshank, and a Black Falcon.

All the time I was watched by a flock of 75-100 Plumed Whistling-Ducks
sitting on one of the pond walls. Also dive bombed constantly by a pair of
Red-necked Avocets worried that I might tread on one of their chicks who
were tumbling about on the path.

A great morning. Also many thanks to Paul Dodd who gave me a great tour of
the WTP and his wife Ruth who allowed me a look around the sanctuary at
Serendip. My little ponds at Alice seem so much smaller now.

On the topic of Letter-winged Kite irruptions it could be on the way in a
year or so - The Centre is looking ridiculously green at the moment after a
couple of wet Christmases.

Cheers, Chris Watson

Alice Springs