birding-aus

mistletoe birds and gouldian finches Djarindjin Dampier peninsula

To: birding aus <>
Subject: mistletoe birds and gouldian finches Djarindjin Dampier peninsula
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:39:53 +1030
The gouldian finches are still here near my house(been here about a week,
could be longer as I was away before that-no doubt the grass will be mown
when school starts and they will move) and I got some photos this morning,
which means I will be able to give photos to tourist camp at
Gambanan(Manganan?) - up the road anyway.

Yesterday I saw 5-6 male mistletoe birds feeding on strangler figs.  This
was interesting in that I had never seen them eat anything but mistletoe
previously.  Also of interest was when they defecated they didn't wipe their
backside on the branch.  Clearly they didn't need to but I thought they
might be hardwired for that.

Gary