birding-aus

Western (Mallee) Whipbird

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Western (Mallee) Whipbird
From: Peter Waanders <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:36:13 +1030
Hi all
Spent a few days at Innes NP at the southern tip of SA's Yorke
Peninsula (as the entrance sign to one of the nearby townships stated:
welcome to the bottom end!). This morning I set out early to search
for Western (Mallee) Whipbirds. Before sunrise they were most active,
I heard at least 4 singing in the dense coastal scrub. The species is
notoriously difficult to get good views of, but fortunately I managed
to sneak up to and observe one bird for about a minute at less than 5
m away sitting in the bottom of a small shrub, happily singing away.
Also present were southern scrubrobin, purple-gaped and tawny-crowned
honeyeater, and a single rock parrot.

Regards

Peter Waanders
Southern Birding Services