birding-aus

Nowicki Track in Hattah NP

To: "'Fiona Anderson'" <>
Subject: Nowicki Track in Hattah NP
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:36:25 +1100
Hi Fiona

It is the Nowingi Track.  Depending on current conditions, this track can be
fine for 2WD in some parts, but always has a few parts that are quite sandy.
If these are in poor (soft) condition at the present then you could have
real trouble in the (heavy) 2WD Mercedes.  You only need one patch of soft
sand to get stuck!  The light-hearted comment about taking a slab of beer to
drink while someone digs the car out is actually not all that far-fetched.
It could be pretty nasty if the weather is very hot - and it often is Very
Hot in Hattah in late February!

Better safe!

Regards

Bob

PS: It can be great birding along there - Striated Grasswren, Mallee
Emu-wren, Malleefowl, Shy Heathwren, Striped Honeyeater, etc.

  _____