birding-aus

Pin-tailed and Swinhoe's Snipe in NW Australia

To: <>
Subject: Pin-tailed and Swinhoe's Snipe in NW Australia
From: <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:26:23 +1100
Hi All,
Pin-tailed and Swinhoe's Snipe must be two of the most challenging bird species to separate and identify with certainty under field conditions in Australia. Although there is quite a list of indicative characters the only field character that I'd currently consider definitive is the tail structure..in particular the width and length of the outermost 5-8 tail feathers. The difficulty in the field is that the important bits of the tail are invariably obscured by the broader more central tail feathers - certainty of the identification requires a patient wait. And then, only the most cooperative of snipe reveal their tails when preening or stretching.

Over the last couple of days Adrian Boyle has photographed just such a Pin-tailed Snipe in Broome.
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/pin_tailed_snipe

And in October and November 2009 I photographed two different Swinhoe's Snipe behaving in the same manner.
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/swinhoes_snipe

Although snipe on Christmas Island and Cocos Islands are invariably identified as Pin-tailed Snipe on range and those in Darwin are identified as Swinhoe's on range you don't hear of many that are identified with certainty in the field on plumage characters. This is especially so in NW Western Australia where both species appear to occur annually. I'll stick my neck out here and state that Adrian's photographs may well be the first time that a Pin-tailed Snipe has been unquestionably documented in the field in Australia.

There is an ulterior motive for this statement. Jeff Davies, Danny Rogers, Adrian and myself would love to see other photos of snipe taken in Australia that prove otherwise. This is because we are keen to further resolve the field characters of these two species. We are especially keen to get hold of any images of individuals where the tail structure is apparent so that any other characters can be 'proofed' against this feature. Images of any snipe thought to be either Pin-tailed or Swinhoe's regardless of quality would also be appreciated. Any images supplied won't be forwarded onto others and copy write will of course be respected.

I look forward to being swamped with images disproving the above statement and showing that numerous Pin-tailed (and Swinhoe's) Snipe have been definitively documented in Australia.

Cheers,
Rohan

Rohan Clarke
www.wildlifeimages.com.au