birding-aus

Brisbane Airport Grass Owls

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Brisbane Airport Grass Owls
From: robert morris <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:52:05 +0000
I went to the wetland site by the side of the gateway motorway this evening and
looked in the same area I've always looked for Grass Owls without success. It
was my 7th visit in the last year although I've not been for 6 months. I bumped
into Andy Jenson an English birder who lives nearby with some friends. Andy has
seen Grass Owls at this site 3 times recently. Always single birds.

At dusk we soon had distant views. Within 30 seconds the bird was overhead
circling us 3 times. It was clearly a grass owl - it was pale beneath - but
showed very extensive foot projection and darker upperparts than barn owl. It
came within a few metres of us. We tracked it to where is went down and I used
a squeaker - one of those things that works on passerines. The effect was
amazing - we soon had 2 birds almost landing on us -  so close our bins
wouldn't focus on them! One was very chestnut on the underparts and face and
appeared larger (female?) than the paler bird (male?). The views were quite
simply stunning! Great to know the birds are surviving the surrounding
development - for how long I wonder?

2 or 3 Lewins Rails were also calling here at dusk.

I left my camera in the car as I didn't want to jinx things after so many
failed attempts - I could have got amazing photos!

Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia